Sunil Bharti Mittal, chairman of Bharti Airtel has announced the launch of 5G services in India at the sixth edition of India Mobile Congress (IMC 2022). Starting today (October 1), Airtel’s 5G services will be available in select cities and users can now experience the 5G services on their smartphones.
So, if you are wondering how to try Airtel’s 5G service and what all you’ll need for it, here’s our detailed guide for you:
Cities where Airtel 5G services will be available
Airtel has currently announced the launch of its 5G services in Delhi, Varanasi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, and Siliguri. Although the company hasn’t currently specified the exact location or region where the services will be available.
How to check if your phone and location are 5G ready
Airtel has confirmed that users will be able to check the 5G availability in their region along with 5G compatibility for their existing smartphones using the Airtel Thanks app upon 5G launch.
Things you’ll need to use 5G services on your smartphone
- You need to be in a locality where 5G services are available. Airtel has mentioned that the 5G service is currently available only in places where the 5G towers are installed.
- A 5G compatible smartphone — Most smartphones launched recently are 5G enabled (click here to check the list of all the 5G smartphones under Rs 20,000)
- An active Airtel connection: Existing 4G SIM is 5G ready
Steps to enable 5G on your smartphone
- Open the Settings app on your smartphone
- Head to Connections or Mobile network option
- Tap on Network mode and choose 5G/4G/3G/2G option
That’s it. Once the network mode is set to 5G, the smartphone will automatically start showing the 5G logo at the top if you are in a 5G-enabled region.